Monday, October 3, 2011

Chevron Pumpkin Mat for Halloween!

I picked up a felt pumpkin cut out from the Dollar Tree the other day and thought I wanted to use it as a stencil for some Halloween decor around the house.  After contemplating a few different projects, I decided I didn't want to paint over the cheery, bright orange felt, but wanted to incorporate it into a project as it was.  Here's what I ended up with...

And here's how I did it...

Thought I'd put on my Jen-and-her-Tatertots-and-Jello inspired shoes and give a chevron patterned project a try.  I picked up a bag of Freecycled fabric a month or so ago and it had some thick canvas remnants.  I cut a mat sized piece from the fabric and got out my measuring tape, straight edge and painters tape and got to work.

To get the sharp points, I just used one end of my scissors as an exacto knife and sliced through the tape to get a crisp edge.  After I was done taping I asked my dog, Sir Teddance of Lickalot, if he would mind spray painting it for me while I made dinner.  Unfortunately, he reminded me about the no-opposable-thumbs thing, so I had to wait to paint it until I got dinner started.  
Then I headed to my painting studio (cardboard on the floor of the garage) with my cheap can of spray paint

Painted over the whole thing making sure I coated all the outer edges well and got a relatively even coat.  Then I pulled up the tape and proceeded to get black spray paint into the cracks of each of my knuckles.  *Tip: wear gloves when spray painting  (DUH)
I stitched the felt pumpkin to the lower right corner and voila!
It's a great pop of color, pattern and holiday decor to my kitchen!

I'll be linking up to THESE AMAZING PARTIES!
Hugs,
A

12 comments:

Megan said...

That is so perfect! I love it!

Alexa said...

How bright and funky is that? I'd love it if you linked it up to my Terrorific Tuesday blog hop!! http://bit.ly/qXimnC

The Lovely's said...

so cute! love the dollar store decor!

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

(found ya on a link party)
What an adorable rug! Very cute idea.. thanks for sharing :)

Vicky said...

What a fun and useful way to add some Halloween cheer. Love it! I am a new follower from Blue Cricket Design. Vicky from www.messforless.net

Maureen said...

SO CUTE!!!!
Chevron and pumpkins...how can you go wrong! :)
Maureen

http://www.releasemecreations.com

Angela Lynn said...

So cute! I love it :)

-Angela
Enter my giveaway

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

LOVE this! Featured it on my facebook page today :)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

Meredith from A Mother Seeking said...

This came out great! I love it. Great long past October!

~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking...

lauren @ West Furniture Revival said...

love the mat it turned out so cute~

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

Well isn't that adorable and so inviting! I found you thru my blog,thanks for stopping by!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This is an amazing project! I hope you'll link this up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party.
www.itsybitsypaperblog.com