Thursday, May 5, 2011

Teacher Appreciation Flower Pencil Bouquets

So it's Teacher Appreciation Week and I am most definitely using all of the days this week to get my act together and craft up something special for the teachers.  (meaning, I'm procrastinating until last night and today)

Whipped up a couple Flower Pencil Bouquets last night for my son's Pre K teachers.

Thought it was going to take some time, but it was pretty quick.  Here's how..
  • Get out your stash of old tee shirts and cue up Glee on the DVR.
  • Grab your scissors and plug in the glue gun
  • Cut 20 circles of one color (front and back base of flower)
  • Cut 10 circles slightly smaller of another color (petals)
  • Cut 10 circles slightly smaller than the previous 10 of another color (petals)
  • Finish watching Glee and sing along to the Fleetwood Mac songs you love
  • Glue the front and back bases together leaving a pocket for the pencil to slip in
  • Glue the middle petal on
  • Glue the smallest petal on
  • Add a gem in the center for extra bling
  • Cut a small green petal from tee shirt and glue to the back bottom side of flower.
  • Try to catch up reading the blogs in your reader and then give up and hit the hay.
  • I just used a couple of the dollar store hurricanes I'd made in the past and asked Mom to bring over her container of split peas so I could use it as filler (mental note: buy Mom more split peas).  I thought they kinda looked like grass for the bouquet.
     Mom is a retired teacher of 30 years and loves to contribute to appreciating teachers whenever possible, so she brought over some homemade toffee and a rose from her garden to add to the gift!  I wrote each of them a thank you note (btw - I write another blog about that, come visit!) and sent them off with my son to school! 
    Now I'm working on dry erase boards and some sort of candy / cookie treat for my 3rd grader and 8th grader teachers by, um, tomorrow and I hope to link up to some of these fun partays!!  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Sweet Floweret said...

I just started a linky party this past Tuesday. It was a great success with over 50 link ups! I would love it if you would participate next week! It's called $10 Tuesdays and it's for things that cost less than $10 and take 20-30 mins (ish) to complete. I love inexpensive and quick projects and I'm guessing others will too ;) Thanks so much for considering.
Tina
http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com/
PS. I'm GIVING away 50 button pony tailers this month! Come visit and claim yours ;)