Monday, April 4, 2011

A non-messy craft - the Gingham Flower Tote

Shew!  What a weekend!!  How was yours?  We did three birthday parties and hosted lots of family at our house this weekend.  It was AWEsome!  Got lots of great photos of the 4 generations we had that were gathered together under our roof!  And coming up later this week, Cari is going to have an EPIC birthday party post, because she threw one AMAZING little boy birthday bash this weekend!  Can't wait for her to share the details on all of her fun party creativity!

Because we were hosting out of towners, we cleaned.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets their house in order only when you've got company coming to town?  So far, we've managed to keep it clean and that means the Craft, er, Dining room too.  So today's project is simple and caused little mess, and I think it turned out super cute!


I bought this simple straw bag from Target in the dollar section for $2.50.  (not sure why they have things in that section that aren't a dollar, but it was a cute summer tote for a few bucks)  The big-flower-on-the-purse thing was big last year and so I decided to make one for this bag.
I wanted a linen-y beachy look - but sadly, this didn't cut it...
And the handles were coming apart from the bag. 
So did I throw it out?  Nah, I decided to freshen it up a bit with some new fabric. I ripped off the old flower and the handles, cut strips of gingham, sewed new handles and ruffled the rest.  Then I created a bigger flower to cover the old hot glue and ta-da!  New spring tote!
Not sure if the big flower on your bag thing is still popular, but I'm ok with that! ;)

Even had enough ruffle to create a flower for a headband.  Not sure why, but I love gingham!
What are you working on today?  Have you ever updated an old craft or refashioned something? 
Do share!!!


17 comments:

Real Life Reslers said...

I love gingham too! And no, you're not the only one that only gets the house together before people come over. I'm usually racing around the house and stuffing things in any nook and cranny I can find. I've actually thrown a bunch of hubby's tools in the dryer when in a pinch!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

this is so cute!! what a steal at 2.50!!! love what you did to it

I'd love for you to link this up to my new link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-1.html

Ashley@EisyMorgan said...

This is awesome, I really love it, you could sell these for BIG BUCKS! Would love you to link up at my party too if you have time:) Everyone wants you at their party;)

Inspired by YOU Wednesdays

southernscraps said...

I love gingham too. It's one of those things that will always be a classic. Love your big ruffled fabric flower and bag!

Life in Rehab said...

Okay, I'm NOT a purse person, and I love this! The gingham flower and handles are perfect.

Lei said...

Don't think i will ever tire of big flowers! Love it!

Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter said...

I love this! Love the gingham and large flower! So cute!!!

I featured this over on my blog today if you want to come by and check it out!

http://livingcraftilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/04/five-fabulous-finds-5.html

Kelly

Luxy Living said...

Looks so pretty, perfect for the beach! =)
Visiting from Chic On A Shoestring Decorating.

Enjoy your weekend!

Alicia @ littlesprinklesoffun said...

So very cute! I love the gingham material you used!

julie said...

i love it! i plan on visiting my target tomorrow just so i can make one for myself! i hope you just bought it! thanks for sharing!

Madigan at madiganmade said...

Oh, this makes me excited for summer! Too cute! Love gingham.

Sommer said...

Oh now this I can get into! I think I will totally make one before I take my next vacation. This would be a perfect tote for suntan lotion, water bottles and towels =) I would love to have you share this at my VIP party this weekend =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-10.html

Rachael said...

Super cute! So glad I found this on TT&J! Hope to see you at my weekend linky party sometime :) http://www.lovelycraftyhome.com

AllieMakes! said...

LOVE it! It is super fun!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Jill said...

This is such a great bag makeover! I'm loving the big gingham flower and the new handles too! Great work!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

This is beautiful! I love it!!

tales from an oc cottage said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m ^..^