Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hooded Hero Cape Towels

This project is brought to you courtesy of THE (ee, ee, ee) CRAFT (aft, aft, aft) CLOSET (et,et,et)!

Bought a couple matching towel and hand towel sets to make hooded towels a looooong time ago and for some reason, put them into the pile of "things to make" and hadn't done anything with them in a while.  Breath easy friends, they have now been transformed into this magnificence.

Dun dun DUUUUN! I give you - the Hooded Hero Cape Towel!  I'm fairly sure I'm not the first with this idea, so please don't think I'm trying to claim these as MY new and original idea, but I do know my idea inspiration originated from the fact that my son loves two things - superhero capes and being naked. The former I think is cute and the latter, well,I think is cute, but our guests probably don't get the same kick out of my son streaking through the house a-la-birthday suit.  So I thought this would be a great way to keep his towel on his little nakey body after his baths!  They are pretty simple to whip up - so simple in fact, I felt silly for postponing this project as long as I did!

Here's the How To:

  • Fold hand towel in half
  • Cut a 2" strip from the folded side - this will be the center of the hood
  • Cut a curved head shape (I used another hooded towel as my guide) on the free edge - these will be the sides of the hood
  • Pin the center strip to one head side piece and sew right sides together
  • Repeat for other side head piece
  • Because I bought cheap towels, I rolled the outer edge (the edge by their face) over twice and sewed a new hem for the hood.  This made the hood feel sturdier, er more sturdy?  It made it feel and look better. The hood part is done!
  • Add a superhero lightning bolt for extra awesomeness. I just free handed this shape and cut it from a dishtowel in my fabric stash.  I pinned it to the center-ish of the large towel and zig zagged it on!
  • Next, fold your hood in half and your large towel in half
  • Match up the center bottom fold of the hood with the center top fold of the towel
  • Pin the hood's wrong side to the right side of the towel.
  • Sew the hood to the towel. I did a zig zag in the middle with a straight stitch along the bottom outside of the hood and then another on the top inside to secure the hood onto the towel really well.  Naked superhero's are rough on their capes you know.
  • Now it's time to turn that hooded towel into a superhero cape!  Just add a button and loop next to the hood!
  • I used a section of hemmed edge of the hand towel because it was already finished and I knew the hem would be sturdy.  I cut about a 3" piece.
  • Create a loop and pin to the wrong side (under side) of the large towel just outside (right or left) of the hood.
  • Sew onto towel using a zig zag stitch for extra stability.
  • Add a button to the same place on the large towel on the opposite side of the hood.
A side note...
Buy decent towels. This one is using cheapy versions I picked up at the grocery store. I think it's going to be great for this summer around the pool, but I don't think these towels are made well enough to last more than one season.  I made another using a better quality towel and I feel pretty sure it's going to hold up for quite a while.

Hope you enjoyed this week's project at It's Toile Good!  We love having you all here with us and appreciate your readership and kind comments!  Oh and if you need any superhero help today, I'd be happy to send over Hooded Hero Cape Towel Man to assist!
Happy Tuesday!
Will be linking to some awesome parties!  Check them out and be inspired!!

8 comments:

Life in Rehab said...

Eep! He looks like he could definitely save the day in that! I'll bet the hubs would secretly be pleased with one of those...

Enjoy the naked while it's little and cute and accompanied by a plump tummy. Mine are teenagers. The chance accidental run in is met with screams on both sides.

Sweet Craft Cakes said...

So FUN!!! Please link up on my Sweet Links Party!
Smiles~ Noelle

http://sweetcraftcakes.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweet-links-party-no-8.html

Kim @ KimsKandyKreations said...

How fun! I've seen hooded towels before but never one so cute. I wish my boys were young enough to enjoy this still.

I do hope you'll link it up at our Shindig Saturday post:
http://kimskandykreations.blogspot.com/2011/03/shindig-saturday-linky-party-week-3.html

Jill said...

Oh that is fabulous!! Yes I've seen these before - and my girls have them too - but not superhero ones! And I especially like the button fastening!

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/2011/03/round-tuit-40.html/
Have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

AllieMakes! said...

That is AWESOME! I love the super-hero cape!!
Great job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Amy (naptimecrafters) said...

Genius! we always pretended our hooded towels were capes- now your kiddos can run naked in style:) Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter- good luck:)

~Beth D. said...

this is so great! found you at the auditions for American Crafters.

Alison@Oopsey Daisy said...

Wow--how darling!!! I can't imagine any little boy who wouldn't love his own hero cape! Great idea for a bath towel!