Thursday, February 17, 2011

Project transformation

We can't wait...it looks like we're going to be moving into a house after all...not for another 6-8 months (we're building-so fun!) but now I've got all sorts of excuses for projects...much to the dismay of my hubby!

Our first for the new house: changing this hutch (found for $19 at the Pottery Barn outlet-awesome!):

into this bookcase for my little guy:

Here's what we used:

Home Depot color matched for us (I brought in a piece of the paint that was chipping off the front of the hutch), so it's dang near perfect color.

Now I'm not much of a tool gal myself, so I enlisted a bit of help from two of the men in my life...it makes me way too nervous to risk ruining a project that I'm looking so forward to completing (and couldn't duplicate if I screwed it up!)

Here's how we did it:
Step one: Sand edges of new shelves and scrape off old plastic-y stuff that is peeling off front of hutch-bookcase
Step two: prime and paint (we used a Behr paint that had primer in it-awesome!)
Step two and a half: paint second coat


Step five: insert shelf holders
Step six: put your shelf on!
Step seven: drill screws into top
Step eight: clean it up aaaand you're done!

Now where to store it in the mean time...


7 comments:

allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com said...

a new house for the adorable new bookshelf! Great job! You think the house will only be 8 steps?

Megan said...

Dear One of my Favorite Bloggers, :)

I love reading your blog and I want to present you with the Sylish Blogger Award. I hope you will accept because you deserve it!

Check it out!
http://coffeypartyof3.blogspot.com/2011/02/awarded-wow.html

Real Life Reslers said...

Wow it looks great!

I already asked this on your fb page but in case you don't see it: I'm writing a post about offbeat crafty things. I wanted to include a link to your moustache straws tutorial. Do you care if I use one of the pics with the link?

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

That shelf is so nice, Cari. I'm envious you have a Pottery Barn outlet near you!

Cari said...

Thanks, Kim! It was fun to make something actually useful! And, aye, the good and bad of the PB outlet...haha!

MiMi said...

That's ADORABLE!!!

{NiceGirlNotes} said...

Wow! That looks awesome! :)