Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Bushel and a Peck and a Hug Around the Neck

Ok - I know I said I was going to post the Mini Man Mustache Bash photos and ideas, but I have had an itch to make what I'm calling the Hug Around The Neck Scarf and today I finished it (and I can't wait to share - Mini Man will come tomorrow...maybe).  I remember my Mom always singing that she loved us a "bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck". I thought it was kind of an odd comparison, but it rhymed and was catchy, and it's what inspired me for this project!
 
Originally the idea I wanted to make was a neck pillow for the kids to use while resting around the house or riding in the car, but after an attempt or two at that idea, I switched it up to become a scarf.  I think it's going to be the perfect Valentine's Day gift for my son's pre-school teachers.  It's pretty simple to make and could be even easier with a few shortcuts I thought of along the way.

You'll need...
  • 2 pieces of fleece (there are about 1 million reasons why I love sewing projects with fleece!) about 30" X 7" (Or cheat and use a scarf you already have)
  • Tracing of your child's hand
  • Largish button
  • Scraps of black fleece (OR you could totally cheat some more and just sew on a kids mitten or glove instead of appliqueing the hand prints!)
  • Sewing machine


I have embroidery floss shown in the original photo because initially I thought I would just embroider the outline of my son's hand, but it turns out that I am VERY bad at embroidery, so I ripped it out and went another route (fearlessly crafting at its best)

Sew the two strips of fleece (right sides out) 1" from the outside edge. (or you could totally skip this step and use a single layer of fleece making this even easier!)
Cut fringe all around the outside edges.  Cut the corner squares out.
Cut out hands from black fleece and pin to outside of scarf at each end.
Sew hands to scarf and measure for the correct location for the button and buttonhole.
Sew button hole into one side and button into other side.

Give yourself a big ole hug around the neck!
Now to make one more and possibly another few for grandmas!
Happy Valentine's Day y'all!

4 comments:

Brandy said...

I love this project. Great job.

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

How fun!!! what a great idea! please come link this to our party over here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-heart-shaped-ice.html

Have a great weekend!

shopannies said...

this is a very sweet project one that could be cherished through the years

AllieMakes! said...

Cute! It perfect for those of us that keep warm with something on our neck...
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com