Sunday, December 5, 2010

Gift Card Cuff

Giving gifts to the men in my life is impossible the most difficult part of Christmas gifting for me.  I never know what to get them and even if I do have a gift idea, I know that the one I get will inevitably be the wrong one.  So, while I don't like to give gift cards, often times, that's what the guys get.  Here's an idea on how to make the ho-hum gift card presentation a little cuter!

Along with being a terrible male gift giver, I am also terrible at ironing shirts.  (wonder where this is going don't cha?)  Besides just feeling like I needed to confess that fact, it's also the reason why we have a bag full of old dress shirts that my husband can't wear any longer because they have been worn out from repeated dry cleanings.  So I chopped off the cuffs and make gift card pockets!

Here's how..

Chop off pocket (this is actually an old shirt of mine, my husband would never wear this color!  haha!)

Iron pocket so the button holes make a small flap at the top
Turn it upside down and sew (or hot glue!) up each side from the fold at the bottom to the top edge by the buttons.  (don't include the flap)


Add a gift card and button up!

Add a ribbon or bow or stamp on a name or nothing and give to finicky male loved one!



10 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is so creative! Husband just put two button downs in the goodwill pile yesterday, which means I have four cuffs to try this with! My favorite part is that they're easier for the person to keep and reuse than a paper holder. I featured you today on my gift wrap roundup :)

Kell said...

another clever idea. I have more than a few cuffs that can be snipped off some shirts in the upcylce pile of clothing! and so perfect for any holiday or gift giving reason. ;)

malia said...

alison this is brilliant!!!!
malia
www.yesterdayontuesday.com

Kim said...

What a cute idea, masculine and good reuse of a shirt.

Judy said...

What a really clever idea. I hate giving gift cards too but this would make it look so much nicer. Don't you think people actually prefer gift cards? So why do we all hate giving them? I linked over from the shabby nest. Would love if you would come by and check out my blog. If you decide to follow please let me know and I would definitely follow you back. Thanks.

alison @ adventures at home said...

so clever!

AllieMakes! said...

That is REALLY cute! And very creative!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

very cute! And it can be a business card holder too! Would love for you to visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday! The party will be open until Friday if you want to link up multiple projects. Hope you have a great day! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

malia said...

Alison! Featuring this project tomorrow at A Crafty Soiree www.yesterdayontuesday.com
xo Malia

freckled laundry said...

Ooh. Simple & cute. Love the repurposing. Freckled favorite tonight!

Hugs,
Jami