Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Want a Gift? Can It!

Mom to Mom 6 Part Series
Part Uno

Need a quick, easy, affordable gift giving idea?  Can it! (literally!)  Recycle tin cans (pop top preferred) into adorable gifting containers.

How To:
  • Decide you want soup for lunch
  • Open can of soup from the bottom using a smooth edge can opener
  • Eat soup
  • Rinse can and remove label.  

  • Measure and cut decorative holiday scrapbook paper to cover outside of can
  • Adhere with hot glue
  • Cover rough cut edges by hot gluing ribbon or scrap fabric to top and bottom of can, thus hiding poor cutting job


  • Tie ribbon and fabric scraps to pop top ring


  • Fill can with goodies (cookies, candy, gift certificates, tickets, earrings, whatever your heart desires.  Maybe don't refill it with soup though)


  • Gorilla glue, or super glue can back together and let dry. ("Can It" tip:  Hot glue is too thick and will not allow bottom of can to lie flat and back in its original position.  Thinner glue will work better)
Ta Da!  Re purposed recycling and quick affordable gifting!!

15 comments:

Maggie said...

luv luv recycle projects. Great ideas on the can.
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Michelle said...

I LOVE this idea! I plan on doing this for people that we are giving a gift card too... I hate giving just gift cards, but thats what people want!

- Michelle @ Bunch of Craft

Lynnie said...

This will be great for my middleschoolder to make and do for her friends....candy and lipgloss!

alyssha lynn said...

SO cool! I wish I had one of those darn can openers! What a Great gift!

Elizabeth said...

Super cute! Way to be crafty and reuse something! Would love for you to visit me and link up to Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

DANA said...

Great post! I would love it if you would link this up to my Strut Your Stuff Party! http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-up-giveaway-and-winner.html

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

This is so cool! Love the idea! :)

AmieAnn said...

This is soo cute! What a great way to wrap a gift! Thanks for sharing!

Van said...

Really love this idea! I love how it's DIY, recycled, and attractive! I run a blog on thrift and thrifting, I would love it if you shared this idea on my Holiday Link Share :)

You can do so here: http://bit.ly/h0FA83

Condo Blues said...

Brilliant idea!

Shauna {SK Studios} said...

what a super creative idea!! love the upcycling :D

Susan @ Entertain Exchange said...

Great idea for a Christmas party favor!

Susan,
http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
Party and Entertaining Inspiration

AllieMakes! said...

Super cute! I really need to get one of those nice edge can openers, huh?
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Life in Rehab said...

I LOVE this idea!

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com said...

love this idea!! If you have time make sure to come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings today. www.ladybug-blessings.com