Monday, November 15, 2010

PJ Pants to Pocket Scarf

The other day I saw a post for this scarf with pockets from Delia Creates (Such a fun blog with really great and easy sewing projects!  You really should go check it out!!) and thought it was a brilliant idea and yesterday I had to try my hand at one, well two really, for my girls!  Ours came out a bit different because I recycled some old PJ pants that were in the Goodwill pile, but my girls loved them!
yes, you wear scarves and short sleeves in Texas


Here's a brief "How To" for these...
Materials:
2 pair of outgrown PJ pants
Sewing machine
Rotary cutter and cutting mat





 Both my daughters are tall, so we have lots of pants that are too short.  My oldest is 6' tall, so I used her outgrown pjs to make hers so that I would have enough fabric for her scarf and the same for my youngest so we had appropriate fabric for each girl.

Chop up your PJ pants making yourself 4 rectangles of fabric the same size.  I just made the rectangles as large as possible from the two legs of the pants (front and back).

Sew 3 of the rectangles together end to end making a long scarf that will wrap around the neck and reach the end of the fingertips.


Chop up the legs of the other set of pj pants to make pockets.  On my first scarf, I used the bottom hem of the pants as the top or opening of the pocket.  I turned inside out and sewed straight along the unhemmed opening to create the pocket.  
On my second pair I turned the legs of the pj pants on their side to incorporate the little pockets the pj pants already had into the scarf pocket.  

Turned inside out and sewed along the bottom creating the scarf pocket.  Flipped right side out then asked my daughters to model by trying on the scarf (making sure to wrap around the neck to get the right length for how it will be worn) and pin pockets at where hands rest.  

Top stitch the sides and bottom of pocket onto the scarf.  Turn pocket inside out with end of scarf inside and sew top inside of pocket to scarf.  Turn right side out and VOILA!



Just a note*
The red scarf was made from fleece pj pants, but the green from flannel (which is lighter and just perfect for the Texas mild winters).  I just sewed a straight stitch around the edges of the entire scarf to allow for a little fraying.

They were perfect for our first backyard fire pit smores night!!

Thanks Delia for the awesome inspiration!


12 comments:

Delia said...

Nice job using some old pants! What a great idea. I like the little detail on the pocket too.

malia said...

allison... cute, clever + original... great job! hope you share it at a crafty soiree on thursday
malia
www.yesterdayontuesday.com

AmieAnn said...

These are too stinkin cute! I LOVE scarves! I think I may just have to whip together some from my old pj's too! Thanks for sharing at the Pink Hippo Party.. Hope to see you next week!

DANA said...

That is awesome! I would love for you to come link up at our Strut Your Stuff Party!

http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-link-party-and.html

Kim said...

Cute, those might work in FL, too.

Amie said...

Those are fantastic! Especially helpful when forgetful minds leave the mittens at home. :)
Amie @ http://kittycatsandairplanes.blogspot.com/

Michelle L. said...

What a great idea to recycle pjs! I love scarves and pjs, so the perfect craft. Your girls are so sweet, what excellent models!

Jaimee said...

Oh I'm getting sucked in to all these up-cycle/re-fashion tutorials! This is such a great idea!! I have nieces and think this might be the perfect thing to make them for Christmas : )

AllieMakes! said...

Awesome! I never would have thought... Fabulous job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

OrloSubito said...

is so clever!!!wonderful job!!!

Cari said...

OMG! Saw this same idea when I was looking through the December issue of Family Fun that arrived today ...only they used the pocket for an iPhone or mp3 player! Yet another use for our bright ideas! lol!

Kell said...

Found this post on a linky party you linked up to. Great idea upcycling those old pj bottoms. I have some old night gowns I got from the thrift store that I have been waiting to use for something, and this is the perfect project for it. Thanks!