Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Magnetic Calendar


I don't know about your children, but my wonderful preschooler loves to know what's going on. He's usually got his own agenda (and is rather quite bossy about it), so I've found a need recently to keep him informed of all the events going on in our little family. So, in an effort teach my little guy more about time, I've created this wonderful magnetic wall calendar for his room. I'm hoping this will also teach him a little something about reading a calendar. (Can't be too ready for school, right?)

Since we're in the process of building a house and we're low on the moo-la, I'm trying to be a bit more frugal than usual (especially with Christmas around the corner...like a month-yikes!)...so here's what I did:

Found this piece of metal (I'm not sure what else to call it, however the back says "BITS" from IKEA) at a local Goodwill for $2.99 (I bet you could find a cookie sheet or something similar even cheaper or at a garage sale...or that nasty rusty one in the back of your cabinet...)




I grabbed some scrapbook paper (found the calendar one at Hobby Lobby) and Mod Podge and a foam brush and went to town...



(Note my first attempt ever to use Mod Podge...I've been told how easy it is to use, and it is, but somehow I managed to screw it up anyway...it ended up being a "three-tripper" to Hobby Lobby -you know, like when you've got a house project and you talk about the number of trips to Home Depot that was necessary for your husband to finish the project? I'm sure urbandictionary has got a term for it...)

The magnets are super easy!

Glass marbles (floral section or Dollar Tree)
Craft magnets (wood section)
Mod Podge
Foam brush
Scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, photos, magazine cutouts, clipart, stickers, etc --cut to the same size as your glass marbles

Wipe some Mod Podge on the back of the glass marble and stick your round paper cutout to it. Wipe some more Mod Podge on the back of the paper and stick your magnet to it. Let it dry. Viola! I used the polka dot scrapbook paper and cut out the circles and then wrote numbers on each of the circles for the dates on the calendar. I also printed out some holiday symbols, a school bus and other symbols depicting things we do during the week and made magnets out of them so he had pictures to tell him what we would be doing on each day. I'm also planning on printing out some photos of family members for birthdays and a few of Daddy so he can see the days that he works. The best part? I'm going to store all the "extra" magnets on the back of the calendar (would totally work with the cookie sheet idea)...and I've got plenty of extra space on this one to stick little notes, invitations, pictures, etc.

Here's the final project:
(all that's missing is my month name...coming soon)





5 comments:

Jen B said...

Super cute idea. I'm sure my little man would get a kick out of this too!

Amanda Dale said...

Great idea! I bet my two year old would love this and it would be great practice!
www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com
-Amanda

Theresa said...

I have a little 5 {don't forget the "and-a-half"!} year-old who likes to know what's going on. I think I'm going to have to try your idea.
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers!
Theresa

The Reluctant Blogger said...

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing.

AllieMakes! said...

Excellent job! It looks super fab!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com