Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ruffles and Real Life

I'm all about reusing so, I took an old jacket that didn't fit any longer (let's go with "it shrunk in the wash") and a dress my youngest daughter had outgrown and whipped up one of my fave projects yet - this ruffle flower pillow!

I am in love with all the ruffly fluffy fun things that are so popular right now and this was my way of getting a bit of that girly luxury into my life!  I have a dream of turning our master bath into my very own pink and pretty, shabby shic spa space.  I'm a LOOOOOONG way from this dream, especially since the hubs says N.O. to pink, but if I'm quiet about it and do things little by little - it WILL happen!  tee hee hee.  This is the first step towards my dream of that lovely, luxurious space.



It was pretty easy too...
  • Just cut 2 rectangles of pink polka dot fabric for the pillow.  
  • Sewed right sides together leaving a hole to turn.  
  • Turn right sides out, stuff and sew hole closed.  
  • Then cut several wide strips of flower fabric from my jacket.  
  • Sewed pieces together to make one long approx 2 1/2" inch strip.  
  • Folded long ends together to make a long approx 1.25" (double sided) strip
  • And then did the long basting stitch trick to ruffle the strip.  
  • Started in the center, curling it in a circle and pinned it to the pillow.  Kept pinning around and around to make a flower shape and hand stitched in place.
 Here's where I'm at in real life now...

but a girl can dream, can't she? and isn't it amazing what a little strategic cropping can do?




Linking up to some fun parties!  Come see and be inspired!

10 comments:

Whitney @ Diary of A Preppy Mom said...

I love it! It's perfect! actually - I may be making one of my own today - because I love it that much! :)

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com said...

aw love this pillow! I think I need to reuse some fabric :) Come link up sometime to Handmade Tuesdays! It is a new linky I started with a tutorial :) www.ladybug-blessings.com

Claire said...

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog-I'm a follower of you now too! Love the ruffled pillow-so cute!

whilehewasnapping said...

This is so adorable. I love it! Thanks for linking up with While He Was Napping! Hope to see you again next weekend!

Krista

Mychel said...

Very cute! I love it :)

The Bonjour Four said...

i love the pillow! great job! it's very very cute.

www.libby-bonjour.blogspot.com

Mormishmom said...

I ADORE the ruffly stuff too! Love this. Thanks for linking up to TOO Cute Tuesdays.


http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com/

emilyc @ Sew Super Sweet said...

So, so cute! I love both fabric choices!

Allie said...

I love it! I love the graphic color! Beautiful! Can't go wrong with Pink!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie.
I can't wait to see what you have next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Kim said...

This is adorable. I love the combination of fabrics and the super-size flower.