Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Infinity* Scarf. (*not an indication of sewing time required)

Combine this inspiration with a piece of brown jersey fabric and THIS is what you can create in about 10 minutes (Which is MUCH less time than an infinity, BTW).

I found a long piece of brown jersey in the " uh oh" section* of Hob Lob.  I think it cost me .92!
*The "uh oh" section is all the remnants off the bolts or the cuts of fabric that are returned and they are always on sale for pennies!  I always grab up what they have because I am a craft supply hoarder I can get project materials on the cheap!

Anyhoodle - there are many tutes (for example, this one on KatieOChicago) on how to make these awesome scarves and they are all pretty easy.  Here's what I did.
  • Fold fabric in half - long ways- like a hot dog bun with right sides together.
  • Sew down the long side starting 3 or 4 inches from the top and ending about the same distance from the bottom
  • Turn right sides out
  • Bring short ends together and match up unsewn corners, right sides together
  • Sew short ends together
  • Turn right sides out
  • Sew opening closed (either machine or hand stitch)
DONE
Wrap around neck 2 or three times depending on the look you want to achieve (cowl neck or turtle neck)  Katie also made a great video showing you how to wear these scarves!

Made another one with Goodwill-bound t shirts and tanks.  Just chopped them into rectangles and pieced them together to make one long piece of fabric.  Then followed the same instructions as above.  Is it too Dr. Seuss-y?  What do you think?

Don't be tardy for these parties!  (sorry The Real Housewives of Atlanta is my guilty pleasure)



Sooo flattered to be featured at Freckled Laundry! Her entire blog space is divine! Go see for yourself!
freckled laundry

13 comments:

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Looks great, I can't sew, but still would love to wear one!

Randi said...

Very cute. I just knit an infinity scarf as a Christmas gift ... such a fun look.

Lori Lynn said...

Love it! I'm a scarf gal all the way, so this looks easy and fun to wear!

*´¨)
¸.*´¸.**´¨) ¸.**´¨)
(¸.*´ (¸.*´* LORI LYNN *

Adena (aka cre82learn) said...

They are soooo cute!! I am a beginner sewing pretty much but think I could handle this. Love the colorful one too. My daughter has made something similar with recycle t-shirts like you did. She cut fringes into it.

April said...

Of course it isn't too Dr Suess! Turquoise and green are awesome! So cute...I love it! I am obsessed with scarves...about a month ago I bought like 10 at Old Navy because they were on clearance for $2....my hubby thought I was nuts!lol

Allie said...

Love it! Neaon pastels are going to be big this next year, so it's totally on trend! Good job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie.
I can't wait to see what you have next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

freckled laundry said...

I love this! Thank you so much for linking it to air your laundry Friday. I appreciate the easy peasy tute. My favorite scarf is jersey knit. You cracked me up with "anyhoodle."

Hugs,
Jami

Kim said...

The are both cute. I like the colored one stacked close to your neck. Great recycling and getting something new to wear.

Michelle B said...

Very Cute! The colorful one is a little Suessy for me...but my sister would totaly rock it and look amazing! I think it's all about attitude and I'm a bit beige :) Thanks for the tut!

Lauren Bird said...

Found your blog on freckled laundry and I think I'm addicted! Wish I could sew so I could do this!

thedomesticfringe said...

I think these are super cute! But, I like Dr. Seuss. ;-)

-FringeGirl

Theresa said...

First of all...I love the way you write! I actually giggled out loud at the word 'anyhoodle'!! Good thing it's early and no one's at work yet!
Secondly...love the scarf tutorial...after I get this Halloween Spooktacular out of my hair, I may just give it a whirl!
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers!
Theresa

Kirsty said...

yay i love fabric scarves partly because I'm vegan and therefore hate wool but mostly because they look EXCELLENT! :D