Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Shoes for shorties

Does anyone else have a baby who's feet resemble loaves of bread?  My youngest son, William, has very pudgy feet.  Adorable feet, but pudgy.  Well, everything about him is pudgy.  Which I LOVE!  My husband and I made big babies.  They are super squeezable!


not sure why I have so many photos of my family's feet!



Mr. Squeezy

Anyhoo - I have inherited a few pair of Robeez and knock off Robeez.  These all use elastic to secure the shoes around the ankle.  Because of my son's squeezy ankles and feet, they are often tight and uncomfortable for him.  (I know, he's only crawling and doesn't even NEED shoes, but that's not the point)  I decided to take matters into my own feet (ha) and looked around blog land for a tutorial on how to make baby shoes without the elastic.  No luck, so decided I'd adapt this pattern to fit our feet! 

Here's what I came up with.  Baby shoes that tie!  You can tie them tighter on smaller ankles or looser for the bigger babes!  I didn't take pics along the way because I wasn't sure if it was going to work or not, but now that I've whipped them up - I like them and think I'll do another few pair and when I do, I'll be sure to share! The Stardust Shoes pattern was a great jumping off point for me to understand how baby shoes are put together.  I measured my little guys feet and hammered out a custom pattern to fit his peetsies (as we call them).   I lined the top and heel in jersey fabric for softness, but left the bottom sole a single layer to help with walking (when that happens).  Added button holes to thread the "laces" through.  I know these look a little girly with the white ribbon, but I couldn't reach because of the clutter find the shoe laces I have stashed in my craft closet.  I tried them with ric rac instead of the ribbon, but they were WAY too precious for my little dude.  Maybe I'll whip up a pair for my niece and cutesy them way up!



What do yall think?  Would you put these on a baby you know?  Ideas, suggestions, comments?  Feed me the feed back!

Party on!  Come check out the party page to see what I'm sharing with these awesome crafters!

11 comments:

Ashley @ The Hillside Home said...

I think this is a GREAT idea. I have the same challenge with my son. His feet are SOOOOO chubby!!!! He is 15 months now and has been walking for months... and the only shoes that fit his feet are velcro shoes from Stride Rite (which are on the pricey side). I say run with the idea!!!!! :)

Megan said...

As I have no kids I can offer no shoe suggestions, but the ones you have look adorable. I would totally wear those if they were in my size!

Amy said...

Not only are they brilliant - they are adorable! I want a pair for me! They would make great slippers for the winter! Lovely work!

allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com said...

ok - I was totally thinking the same thing! Slippers! They would be super comfy and who doesn't like getting slippers? Christmas gifts? Might just try to make up a pair tomorrow! Thanks yall!

Liz Taylor said...

such cute little toes! I gave you an award, go check it out!
Liz
http://projectnaptime.blogspot.com/

Staci J said...

Those are perfect!! my kids have little fat feet too:)
Visiting from justsewsassy.com

Kim said...

I think these are very creative. I would use them for a baby. You did a nice job modifying the pattern. Thanks for linking.

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

So stinkin' cute! Thanks for sharing your “creative mojo” with me on Thrilling Thursday. I hope you will be back again soon :)
~Lori S.
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Isn't the Stardust Shoes pattern great?! I've even made slippers for my three year old with it. Love your take on it!

★All Thingz Related★ said...

Thanks for stopping by and joining us for Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Aw, those are darling! I love chubby baby feet, they are just so kissable. It's a shame to have to cover them up but if you do, you might as well do it with style:) Thanks for choosing to share at A Crafty Soiree again! Hope to see you again next week, oh oops I mean tomorrow! I'm a little behind:)