Thursday, September 9, 2010

Nursing cover

My little guy was a wiggler, a grabber, and an otherwise nuisance trying to breastfeed. This time around I decided to try something much more official to breastfeed with versus just a blanket. I found this AWESOME tutorial here at made by the mama monster for what is your basic Baby Au Lait "Hooter Hider." (LOVE that name, just can't spend $35 on something that I can make for SO much less!)

(Isn't he cute?? I'm sure he thinks it's an apron...I think I'll let him go on believing that.)

To do this yourself, all you need is a yard of fabric, 16" of boning, 2 1" d-rings, and thread, and you can turn this:



into this!



My words of wisdom:
  • Cut your straps 3" wide instead of 4 1/2" if you're using 1" d-rings.
  • When turning your straps inside out, use chopsticks to push the fabric through! SO much easier!
  • Do NOT use fabric covered boning...never purchased boning before (my best friend still giggles at the thought of having to ask a sales associate where to find it) and it was just a mess trying to insert into the casing.
  • Instead of sliding the boning into the casing, pin it and sew it in as you are creating the top casing. SO much easier, less time consuming, and it stays in place.
  • UPDATE: After using this for a time or two, I found it necessary to starch the fabric really well (so the fabric doesn't lay across baby's face and you can actually see her!)...you might consider using a stiffer fabric (not sure what?) if you don't want to have to do that.
I've seen these with one of the bottom inside corners of the cover having a terry cloth triangle sewn in to use as a wipee/burp cloth...I've also heard about putting a pocket on it...not sure what you'd use it for, but just some ideas! I think it'd also be cute to embellish with an applique, embroidery, ric rac...maybe on future ones!

6 comments:

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Wow you make it sound really easy to make one these! Make me regret very much the fifty bucks I spent on mine back in the day! Would love you to join me at A Crafty Soiree, every Thursday.

Something Wilde said...

Awesome! I LOVE my hooter hider!

McClure Family said...

what is the name of that fabric in the first photo? the really big flowerdy print?

Laura @ House of Thrifty Decor said...

Very cute. We bought these for my sister in law when she had my niece. We should have made are own and saved some money. Great post! Please stop over to my blog on Sunday for my Show Off Sunday Party. I would love for you to share this with my followers. :)

http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Such a great idea! Thanks for linking up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions. Hope to see you again soon! :)

Laura @ House of Thrifty Decor said...

Thanks for stopping by to my Show Off Sunday Party. I look forward to seeing you next Sunday!!

http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/2010/09/show-off-sunday-party.html