Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hang it up

Had a broken kitchen chair that was in sad condition and decided to tear it apart and re purpose what I could.  I sawed the back and spindles off the seat and removed all the spindles from the back frame.  I couldn't throw them out because I felt them calling to me for one purpose or another.

I had 5 of the wooden spindles and after seeing a few of these wreath / art hangers around blog world, I was inspired to use the spindles for just such a project.
photo courtesy of HowDoesShe.com

I picked up 3 wooden circles from Hob Lob.  I think they were a $1 a piece.  I grabbed the old black spray paint and got after it.

Next, I drilled a hole with the hubs Dewalt into the center (eyeballed it) of each wooden circle base.  I decided I wanted three different heights so I could use them in a grouping.  I used a hand saw to chop off an inch from one and about an inch and a half from another.  I also picked up some wooden caps at the HL.  They were in a 3 pack for about a $1.  I painted those black as well.  Then I coated the larger end of the spindles with wood glue and fitted them into the holes and glued the caps to the top and let dry overnight.

I thought about adding hooks to the fatter part of each spindle, but didn't want to wait to go to the store for hooks.  I've had these 3 old silver (plated) pieces sitting around waiting to be used for a project and thought they would make really funky hooks!  I bent them backward and glued them to the wide part of the spindle, secured them with a rubber band and let it set up overnight.

I really like the way they turned out! 





I whipped up a mini Halloween wreath and a jeweled spider art piece to decorate for the holiday.  Just need one more spooky thing to hang.  Off to do more crafting!



Sharing this project with the super duper link parties I have listed on the Party Page!  Come and be inspired!


7 comments:

Sandra said...

Smart idea.

Christine said...

So brilliant! I need to go find a chair now-lol. They came out terrific--love them!

Allie said...

Wow! SUPER cute! Very smart!
You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie party.
Alliemakes.blogspot.com

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Now THAT is creative!!! Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea on Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions.

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Great idea! I've seen those around too and I really like your make it myself version. Thanks for sharing it at A Crafty Soiree! See you next time!

katskraps4kids said...

WOW! That really is super cute and clever! Now I know what to do with these old dinig chairs when (if we ever do) we get a new dinig set. SO neat! Love this-tfs! Be blessed, Karyl

found you on trash to treasure linky at sassysites, BTW- look fowd to following you!

Sassy Sites! said...

Great job on the transformation! Thanks for linking up to Sassy Sites for our Trash to Treasure Tuesday! Hopefully we can see you again next Tuesday! xoxo

-Marni @ Sassy Sites!