Friday, September 3, 2010

A Flirt with Fall or Platinum Punkins

Today was almost fall feeling in Texas.  It rained last night and then again today and the wind was pretty gusty and so today, and only today, have I even braved a fallish/autumnal thought (it will probably be back up to 100 tomorrow).  Worked on transforming a few pumpkins from so-so, to so-awesome!

Picked up 3 ceramic pumpkins at the Dollar Tree (imagine that!) and was inspired by this post to spiff em up a bit.  (PS - If you haven't read Nice Girl Notes, you're missing out.  She's hilarious!)

from this...
photo courtesy of Heather at Dollar Store Crafts
to this!



The How To
  • Spray painted them a flat silver
  • Brushed on a umber (aka - fancy brown) craft paint and let it dry for a bit
  • Took a dry paper towel and wiped brown paint off
  • Wet the paper towel and scrubbed a bit more off
  • aaaaaand .... Cut!
They work perfect in my hutch in the living room.  It has 6 little cubbies that can be filled with all sorts of fun decor.  Recently they housed my turquoise painted birds, but the chicks were thrown out of the nest for a bit of fall decor!  Obviously, the twine balls would stay and birds would go. Actually, not sure why I chose to switch it up that way, but I do like the silver texture with the twine.


from this....
to this!


This is just one of the amazing project possibilities that the Dollar Tree holds!  For more amazing inpsiration, go check out Heather and her team over at Dollar Store Crafts!

6 comments:

blesid said...

Hi! I found your blog from Paisley Passions ... and what thrilled ME was your gorgeous silver pumpkins that I am going to COPY just as soon as I can. Thank you!!! I'm now your newest follower ... jules from bles-id.blogspot.com

Kalleen at Second Street said...

Allison,
You have a lovely blog. Thanks for sharing your hand trees with me. Sorry it's taken so long for me to check them out. I love your colors. My sister has told me she likes your better than mine. I love your turquoise birds.
Kalleen

Lorie said...

I love the platinum pumpkins!! (But the birds were really cute too!)

Thanks for linking up to Show and Tell Saturday!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Hey again! Great job updating your pumpkins! I would appreciate credit & a link since you used my photo of the pumpkins at dollar tree! :) Thanks! Heather, http://dollarstorecrafts.com

allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com said...

Heather! I'm so sorry! I will def add your credit to this post. I'm still learning the ropes of blogging, so my apologies for the mis step. I love Dollar Store Crafts and get so many inspiring ideas from you!! As soon as I get back to my computer, I'll fix this post right up!

www.nicegirlnotes.com said...

Allison! They came out great! Love them. :)