Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dollar Store Chic

Ok, so maybe "chic" isn't exactly the word, but I would call this Tee Shirt revamp "cute" at the least. First let me say that I have an addiction - yes, My name is Allison and I am a Dollar Tree-aholic. I went shopping on Saturday for ONLY supplies for the nap mat and somehow $50 and 5 bags later, ended up at home with a back seat full of Dollar Tree crafting supplies! I will probably end up on A&E in a surprise intervention show about families who are fed up with the mother/wife's crafting compulsion. But since I have the stuff - let's CRAFT! Shall we? After you...

Found a gem of a collection of Hanes Tees and boxers at the Dollar Store on this epic visit. I picked up a navy and dark purple Tee for me and a green Tee and grey boxers for big brother. First refashion is as follows...

From this...

To this...
TADA!  Don't act like you're not impressed. (anyone watch stupid Will Ferrell movies like me?) anyhoodle...

Just like the nap mat project, I experienced another "first time ever" sewing up this little number.
I SHIRRED! 


Yep, I did!  What's funny is I purchased elastic thread a long time ago when I saw this post.  I even wound my bobbin, but when I put it into the machine and didn't think it would thread up through the bottom, I took it out and it sat in my sewing box for a while until I saw this post, got brave and asked a few questions! Thank you Tricia for the help on this and for making it look easy enough for me to try!

This tee was pretty boxy when it started, so I added a few rows of shirring with the elastic thread to the back and it pulled it in a bit to help it feel fitted, but not too fitted.  I chopped a big V neck in the front and back because I like that type of neckline and then chopped up a to-be-donated tank top into little leaves and hand stitched them onto the shoulder.


Lessons learned:
  • I think I'll try placing the shirring lower on the shirt - more in the small of the back.  
  • Make the lines of shirring longer than I think I need.  The first set of rows gathered, but not enough for the look I wanted.  Measuring is always good - just something I hate doing.  Probably would have helped in this situation
  • Buy a bigger size tee so that I can take it in, but have more length at the bottom.
  • Don't ask husband to take pics for the blog (don't ask)
I think I need to something with the sleeves to make them cuter somehow.  I like a longer sleeve though, so not real sure what to do on that one.  Anyone have some awesome tee refashions to share?  I have a purple one calling my name....

Go check out the PARTY PAGE to find a bajillion more awesome crafters and their projects!

17 comments:

McKell said...

ok. i am totally with you!! dollar tree addict FOR SURE! it's kind of rediculous ;) we need to start up a group or something! haha.
LOVE how your shirt turned out! i didn't even know dollar tree had tees. totally going there today!! you are so creative, keep it up!

*come check out my blog too if you'd like :)

Judy said...

Dollar Tree is just hazardous in general! I go in there and wander up and down the aisles looking at all their goods...it's even worse if I take my kids because they're just as bad :)

I love the shirt! Much cuter and so frugal!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

FrouFrouBritches said...

that is soo cute! I love it! I've never shirred before. I need to suck it up and try it.

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

Super cute! I would never believe this was from a dollar store!

Mandi said...

I would totally call this shirt chic! I cant believe what you did with it, you are amazing! Thanks for your sweet comment about my teacup clock! I too love exclamation points!!!

love your guts
mandi

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

It looks great. DT is awesome (but of course I think that! :)) I recently did shirring for the first time, too... it was great, once I wound the bobbin with elastic thread the right way.

Allie said...

This is GREAT! Excellent Job!
You should come link it up to my Making It party!
Allie
AllieMakes.blogspot.com

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Very cute t-shirt makeover! I have one very similar from Ann Taylor Loft, but sadly I spent A LOT more for it and it pretty much looks exactly the same! Great job and it's nice to know if I'm not the only one who leaves the dollar store with bags and a much lighter wallet. Even though they are only a buck, somehow things always add up way fast for me! Thank you for linking to A Crafty Soiree!

Lori@ Paisley Passions said...

So cute! Dollar Tree is an addiction I tell ya! Thanks for linking up to my Thrilling Thursday party. Hope you will join in again next week :)

~Lori @ Paisley Passions

Terrell said...

Oh WOW! I just love this!! Great find girly! Thank you oh so very much for linking your creations up at my party today! Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Maggie said...

Luv luv what you did to this shirt, amazing..
Maggie
http://cuttingabove.blogspot.com

Self Sagacity said...

It's really cute and you saved a lot of $!

Annastacia said...

Really cute! I am impressed!

Laura said...

It's super cute. I'm impressed!

Ashley said...

I love the dollar tree too. cute shirt. Thanks for linking up.

Shannon said...

You could try shirring on the sleeves, too, to pretty them up :)

Tricia said...

You're so sweet to throw me a nod....thanks. The shirt turned out fantastic. It is always nice to learn a few sewing lessons along the way. Thanks so much for linking it up.