Friday, August 20, 2010

Wanna Be

Saw this post and loved this light and filed it away into the "Creative To Do" section of my brain. Went shopping for some cheapo hardware at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for this project, and stumbled across 2 of these beauties(?) and thought they were reminiscentof the Anthropology lamp.



Being priced at $3 a piece I thought I would try to recreate the look and even if I failed, it wouldn't be a huge loss. We had a can light above our kitchen sink and thought this would be the easiest and most suitable place for this type of light.

I picked up one of these can to pendant light converter kits (these are SO cool!  Just screw it into the can light like a regular light bulb!) at my trusty neighborhood Lowe's store and a can of this spray paint in hammered bronze and started the makeover.

 I removed the "cage" part from the original lamp and covered all the parts of the converter kit except the cord.  The bronze finish was perfect on the converter kit, but the cord was black and I really wanted it to match.


Reassembled everything and added a nightlight bulb and TA DA!  $30 Wanna be Anthropology Lamp!  I'm pretty happy with the results and the fact that I saved myself $118!

fingers crossed the cord straightens out after hanging for a while





Linky love...check out these rad parties!










Photobucket

UndertheTableandDreaming



mmm button

16 comments:

Michele said...

that is so cute! so it wasn't hard to replace your pot light with this pendant, eh? electricity frightens me. good for you!

Pamela Rosenberg said...

Smiling. I'm sure the cord will straighten out. I have seen this look but how cool that you did this yourself.
Nicely done.
Pam

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

Wow - great job! I looks just like the real thing. I LOVE a good Anthro knockoff! Stopping by from I heart naptime. :)

barbara@hodge:podge said...

That turned out great! I have read through your blog-lots of great projects. I must try making a blog button and am going to try your tips!

Thanks for stopping by!

Barbara

Wabi-Sabi Wanderings said...

What a wonderful unique lamp! I love the satisfaction and thriftiness of DIY projects :-)

theteo5 said...

I think it's super cool and I love it that you got it so cheap!

Amy Kinser said...

I love your lamp. You did a great job with it. Hope your cord uncurls.

Partying with you at Stephanie's.

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Very pretty. I love the lines of that light. :-)

Erin said...

I love it!! And, yes, very Anthropologie! :)

Kitschalicious said...

I LOVE the lamp! That's so cute and I'd have to agree, it is Anthropology-ish! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Heather said...

I love that what a great knockoff! That is really cool!!! Thanks for linking up!

C.R.A.F.T. said...

WOW!!! come on over and link up to MMM :)

Lorie said...

How great! I am jealous that you found them for such a steal!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

It's super cute! I love the "basket". What a great find at Habitat. I love that place. Good job.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I have one of those cages too! Found it at a thrift store. If I can find a second one I will do the same thing for above my peninsula in the kitchen. I have two pot lights there.

A Jennuine Life said...

Aak! I've been scouring my local antique malls looking for something like those! I made my base, just waiting for the wire cage. I guess I'll go check out my local ReStores. Thanks for the great post!