Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mommy Needs a Nap Mat

Shew! I made it! I MADE a nap mat!  and now I need a BIG cup of coffee!
For some reason I felt compelled to MAKE my son's nap mat that he needed for Pre K. I've been a little obsessed with the details for Pre School - the lunchbox, the backpack, the new shoes, the cute food containers to go inside his lunch box...it's all a little silly, but I think I finally figured out that I have been using those details as things to worry about instead of really worrying about my little boy leaving me for school!  After I finished this last "Pre School Project" (at about midnight last night), the real worry settled in.  Will he be nice, will others be nice to him, will he even take a nap, will he like his teachers, will he keep all his clothes on, will be pee in the potty? And then I stayed up even later worrying about the real concerns swimming around in my noggin.  I'm sure he will be fine and do great and I'll look back on all this pointless worry and laugh.  (any words of advice or consolation appreciated)

As I'm waiting for the coffee to brew I thought I'd share a few pics of the finished product.  I used this AWESOME tutorial from Jenny Garland and am very happy with the way it came together!  I changed a couple things like the strap and the blanket, but the rest was just as it shows in the tutorial.  This was the biggest sewing project I've ever taken on and through it I learned how to sew a buttonhole with my sewing machine, the importance of clipping the corners before turning things right side out and how to sew velcro.  Great learning experience and confidence booster to try and sew even more!!





hoping to link up to some fun party times after the coffee!  Yall have a super duper Sunday!

Go check out the PARTY PAGE to find a bajillion more awesome crafters and their projects!

Visit thecsiproject.com

8 comments:

Leidi Bird said...

Found you on Skip to my lou, great job on the nap sack! I have a 4 year old that will be needing something similar very soon, i may just have to try and put one together too!

Heather said...

Wow that is so cute! What a great idea my son doesn't need one for pre-school but it would be fun for laying around the house in! Thanks for linking up!

Amy @ Chicy-Creations said...

This is so so cute! My little girl would absolutely love this.

Lori@ Paisley Passions said...

LOVE this one too :) Thanks for linking up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions.

Terrell said...

Ohhh this is totally perfect! I love how it just rolls up! Way to go!!! So glad you linked it up at my party!!

Life in Rehab said...

Oh, he's so cute!!!!

Dilly Dally and Flitter said...

You did a great job! I had this brain child Idea that I didn't need a tutorial, and tried to just wing it...well, it's ok, but this one is cute cute!!! I am going to try to modify mine this week using JG tutorial...
Great job!
Michelle

Jenny Garland said...

Allison,

It turned out SUPER, super cute!!! :) I love the fabric. I totally know what you mean about staying up late and worrying about preschool. My daughter's in Pre-K too and I can only imagine how I'll feel before Kinder starts next year. Thanks for letting me know you used the tutorial!

Hugs,
Jenny