Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Diaper Stacker

I didn't have a diaper stacker for my first kiddo because I thought it was silly and an unnecessary/expensive purchase...but now that I'm having a girl, well, now it's necessary! (Ok, maybe not necessary, but cute!) Not to mention, I have three doors and one small baby room, so I needed something to cover up all that wood. The closet door had these cute little old school knobs on the front at the top of it, and I decided to put them to use.

I looked online at diaper stackers and didn't find much to go with the theme of the nursery...but I did find this stacker here at JCPenny's that I really liked. Only problem was that I wanted to get it to coordinate with the fabrics of my baby's room. So I looked for tutorials and found a pretty good one over here at Sew Dang Cute, but it needed a little tweaking to be the style I was thinking. So here's what I ended up doing in case some of you would like to try it out (it's pretty easy despite my horrible job at attempting to describe this!)...

Supplies:
1 yd main fabric
1/4 yd accent fabric
coordinating ribbon and thread
cardboard/plastic bottom of a reusable shopping bag

Cuts:
Main fabric 40 1/2" x 18 1/2"
Accent fabric 2 strips 3 1/2" x 18 1/2"
Main fabric (for bottom and pocket for cardboard/plastic) 3 pieces 12 1/2" x 9 1/2"

Directions:

Line the opening:
Fold your accent strips in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. Press. Place the long raw (non-pressed) side of one of your strips on top of one of the main fabric's short sides, (right sides together) pin and stitch. Do the same with the other strip on the main fabric's remaining short side.

Make side pleats:
With main fabric laid out in front of you, right side up, pull in finished sides to meet in the middle. Take the top edge of one fold and pull in 3" to make fold for pleat. Fold the front flap in and the back flap over to lay the pleat flat. Pin in place. Press pleats. Sew along the entire top to hold pleats in place.

Add ribbon hangers/finish top:
Hem the entire top edge. Cut 2 strips of ribbon to twice as long as the desired length to hang the stacker. (It will depend on what you're hanging it from and how far you want the stacker hanging down. Mine was pretty dang long since it was hanging from the top of a closet door. Best to cut it too long and trim later than be too short! And don't forget to leave room for a bow or knot!) Fold strips in half. Pin fold of ribbons about 1/4-1/2" below the hemmed top edge about 3" from the sides. Turn right side out. Pin entire top edge closed. Stitch shut.

Make bottom:
Turn stacker inside out. Pin bottom rectangle piece (right sides together) to the bottom of your creation thus far. Stitch all around bottom.

Make pocket:
Take remaining two pieces of fabric and stitch around two long sides and one short side leaving opening to eventually slide in cardboard/plastic bottom. Hem opening. Turn inside out and slide cardboard/plastic into the pocket. Place inside bottom of your stacker...and there you have it!


It's really easy to be able to add a strip of fabric to the top if you wanted to add an applique like this one or maybe just another coordinating piece of fabric. This would just have to be done before you added the ribbon hangers and finished the top. You could also easily adjust your ribbon length and hang it from the side of a crib or padded hanger or something. I'd love to see if any of you try it out or have done it before...leave a pic or link!

And sorry for the crappy tutorial...it's my first attempt and not to mention, I didn't take pics as I went along...didn't know I'd be doing this!






2 comments:

Traci said...

Thank you! I was just at a friends house, checking out the diaper stacker that her mom made for her, trying to figure out how to make one myself. Now I don't need to do the work :D Thanks so much!!

Bonnie said...

That turned out really nice.