Friday, August 27, 2010

Big Boy Bow tie

For some reason, when I learn how to make a project, I just want to make it to death in a million different versions.  I usually only get a few done, but I always want to make things in bulk.  Weird?  yes.  So yesterday when I whipped up that little bow tie for my baby boy, I decided big brother needed his own.  I had saved a Goodwill sash that had been handed down to my daughter for dress up and she deemed it to the trash.  This is my first big boy version and it feels a little too clownish because its a bit too big and floppy, but it was a great start and will be perfect for dress up (or maybe Dad needs a bow tie to match little man!)  I'm sure on the next 4 or 5 I crank out, they will be more suitable for a 3 year old neck.

Whacha need
  • old tie or sash or fabric
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
  • thin elastic
  • needle and thread

How to
  • Cut 6" X 12" piece of fabric (these dimensions are better than my floppy version dimensions)  If using a tie or in my case a sash - my fabric was doubled over so take that into account when cutting.
  • Fold in half long lengthwise (wrong sides together) and sew the length of the piece
  • Flip right side out
  •  Fold in half short sides meeting (right sides will be out) and sew the short sides together

  • Flip the inside out so the seam you just sewed is to the inside -you just made the "ears" part of the tie!
  • Set it aside (did anyone ever watch Yan Can Cook?  Get the reference?  Probably not....moving on.)
**basically, you're going to make another one of these but MUCH smaller for the "knot" part in the middle**
  • Cut a 2" X 3" piece of fabric
  • Fold in half long lengthwise (right sides together) and sew the length of the piece
  • Flip right side out (use pencil to help turn the tube right side out)
  • Fold in half short sides meeting (right sides will be out) and sew the short sides together
  • Flip the inside out so the seam you just sewed is to the inside

  • Scrunch up one "ear" side of the tie and fit it through the smaller loop
  • center the smaller loop to hide the back seam of the bow tie part and position the seam of the smaller loop to the back (I'm all about quick (not pretty) sewing and hiding is half of my strategy with any project)
  • bow tie part done

  • Make it easy on yourself and just tie an appropriate length (longer if he's a good boy) through the center "knot" loop, tie it off and call it a day.  Hide the elastic under the shirt collar!

  • OR
  • make a fabric tube / casing / elastic cover
  • Cut a length of fabric that will go around good boy's neck X 3"
  • Sew right sides together
  • Flip right sides out - use handy dandy pencil again
  • thread elastic through tube - don't tie your knot at this step because if you do, you'll feel as dumb as I did realizing that it isn't attached to your bow tie yet and will do you no good - lucky seam ripper to the rescue!

  • thread the fabric covered elastic through back side of the "knot" part
  • NOW tie the elastic - or sew if you're fancy  
  • Rotate the elastic inside the tube to hide the knot / seam 

    Now here you have some options (lucky duck)
    • Either leave the openings in the fabric tube to the back so you can really grab the elastic and pull it over good boy's head and have shirt collar cover the unfinished business
    OR
    • Tack one end of the open fabric tube to the "knot" part of the bow tie leaving the other side to stretch over good boy's head and once situated on adorable boy, hide the unfinished end of the elastic tube inside the "knot" that will also be covered by shirt collar.

      Just a note: I realize a real pro would cut a longer piece of fabric, making a scrunchy looking neck piece OR even go so far as to craft a band that can be attached with a button, snap or velcro - however, I am not a pro and can get away with my cheater  / "just hide it" version.  (Again, a good reason to sew things for little kids who don't know the difference)  My other trick is to put not-so-fancy items on super cute smiling kids to make it look like a success! Maybe on my 4th or 5th version I'll get uber fancy with the snaps and velcro's and the like - cuz I have a hankerin' to make LOTS more!



      and now the linky love...






      Photobucket



      Tidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays

      giveaways





      8 comments:

      Terrell said...

      This is just adorable!! He looks so proud! Awww!! Thank you so much for linking your wonderful creation up at Frou Frou Decor today!! Have a beautiful weekend,
      ~Terrell @ FFD~

      Sassy Sites! said...

      Thanks for being a part of our first ever Sassy Friday Party! It is so fun to see everyone's amazing blogs! Sorry, I just found out that my button wasn't working right. So, I've created a new button and you can come over and grab that one instead! :) Have a wonderful weekend and.... DON'T FORGET to sign up for the giveaway if you haven't signed up yet! xoxo

      Marni @ Sassy Sites!

      Donene said...

      What a cute bow tie and the model is super cute! Thanks for your nice comments!

      Melissa said...

      Adorable. I love the photos of him at the end with all the attitude.

      Lindy said...

      Cute little cutie pie. Excellent tutorial with great how-to pictures!

      Deb said...

      How precious!!! No wonder you liked my toile brooch holder, considering the name of your blog!!!

      Tricia said...

      What a cute Bow Tie. I have thought about making one for my little guy. I appreciate the tutorial, I'll have to add it to my project list.

      Thanks for visiting my blog and asking some shirring questions. Like I mentioned in the post I am absolutely no expert at shirring, but it was easier than I thought it might be. Something I figured out about shirring (that I somehow missed in the tutorials I'd viewed), was that you only use the elastic thread in the bobbin. Thread your machine with an all purpose thread. You will have to wind the bobbin by hand, but it doesn't really take too long.
      Depending on what kind of a brother you have you may or may not be able to adjust the tension of your bobbin. I have a self loading bobbin and can't access the tension. I found that it worked best if I loaded my bobbin and left the elastic thread long. Doing so seemed to prevent the thread from bunching up in the bobbin casing. If you do have access to your bobbin's tension then here is a good link to follow:

      http://gigglesmumcreativeheart.blogspot.com/2009/10/shirring-problems-i-cracked-it.html.

      Another good tutorial for shirring is from Ruffles and Stuff http://www.rufflesandstuff.com/2010/02/shirring-tutorial.html

      I know that is a bit of vague information, but email me if you have any additional questions. Hopefully I'll start on a few more shirring projects soon.

      Tricia leafytreetopshop@gmail.com

      PS I love Texas, and lived in San Antonio and Austin-I hear that New Braunfels is the best...but I never made it there-maybe one day.

      Farah said...

      It is perfect, I love BOWS, and yours is very perfect, infact I never try with the TIES, but I think now my husband should change his wardrobe (lol) .. Thanks for sharing such a great idea.

      http://craftaworld.blogspot.com

      you can check me there..Love