Monday, July 26, 2010

Mission Control

After a visit to our city's Children's Museum, I realized my son has a serious fascination with buttons, knobs and switches. Maybe its all little boys, but he can find buttons to press any where we go. From door bells and light switches to the "On' button on the dryer, he's got to help push the button / flip the switch!

Following that inspiration, I felt like his fort on our playset needed its own control panel complete with lots of buttons, knobs, flippers, etc so he can imagine til his heart's content. Here's what I came up with.

I started with a bag of old hinges, door knobs and handles, casters, drawer pulls, etc. Miscellaneous junk for the most part. Instead of putting a bajillion holes into the planks in his fort, I decided I'd attach all these "controls" to a board that could be mounted with only a few attachments to the fort. Since I don't own a saw of any kind and didn't want to beg anyone to cut some wood for me, I used an old cabinet door that was collecting dust. Added spray paint and began attaching all the do-hickers (that's a Texan term) to the door.



With lots of help from the hubs, we drilled holes and attached each item with screws. After a little sweat, over a couple of days - Ta Da! A custom Misson Control Panel!



Perfect for any wanna-be-astronaut, button-happy 3 year old to imagine the afternoon away!



I'm entering in my first contest with this project over here at Fireflies & Jellybeans! Wish me luck!!

9 comments:

Fawnda said...

Great idea! My son would LOVE this! So creative and I love how colorful it is!

Thanks for linking up to The Iron Crafter! :)

Jane said...

Super cute. I love how you brought home a little of the toy museum. This will get tons of use I am sure.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

So cute!

Jennie said...

OH MAN! My boys would LOVE this! What a fun idea. LOVE IT!

Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

CUTE idea! I love how it turned out! :)

fawndear said...

Love it! I know some of my girls would get just as much play time out of this as the boys.
Thank you for sharing your creative idea.

Fawnda said...

You made the top 10 in the Iron Crafter!

Check it out here: http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2008/03/iron-crafterknobshinges-top-10-i-mean.html

Terrell said...

This is terrific!! How fun! I'm loving your blog and I'm so excited to be your newest follower..I love new friends at FrouFrouDecor! I'd also like to invite you to my link party/giveaway..every Friday! Hope to see you there!
XO's
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek said...

That is so cute! My son would love it, too! Now I'm going to check out this "fort."