Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Herb Bowls

For our wedding we registered for LOTS of different dishes. A red and yellow cherry and mustard ceramic set for every day use and a white china-ish set for the super fancy meals(ie. Thanksgiving and Christmas). The day to day wear and tear really did a number on the every day dishes and we have since switched to using our white set for our home made, 7 course dinners (yeah right). As much as I wanted to, I could not let them all go to the Goodwill donation station and so am left with a stack of mis-matched dinner plates, cereal and pasta bowls, and dessert plates.



I had a set of 4 cereal bowls (ice cream bowls to me) and matching dessert dishes that were relatively chip free and thought they would make excellent planters for some herbs. I knew they needed drainage holes, but asked every male type I know to borrow a ceramic drill bit and had no luck in finding one. Undeterred, I decided to try adding a handful of rocks to the bottom of each container before adding the soil and herb plant. Fingers crossed this works.
I picked up 4 herb plants at my local Farmers Market this past Saturday (Side note: Our FM deserves an entire post just dedicated to its wonderfulness, but that will have to come later) Rosemary, Thyme, Basil and Chocolate Mint (that's right - Chocolate Mint! Can you imagine the Mojito with that?! uhh YUM!)
I added a bit of chalkboard spray paint to each saucer for labeling. I'm pretty happy with the way my little herb garden has turned out. I think I even impressed Carter!






Now - what to do with the rest of the dishes?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

This is so great. I have been thinking about doing an herb garden but I didn't know what I wanted to do. I love it!

Kara @ Craftastical! said...

So darling and great way to repurpose sentimental dishes!

Thanks for linking up at Craftastical!